So this is the story of my failed craft project.
Over on Pinterest, I saw a tutorial on dyeing yarn with Kool-Aid ice cubes. I loved the look of the finished yarn and it seemed like a project that Evie would have fun helping me with. I had the brilliant idea to dye embroidery floss instead since I cross stitch much more than I knit or crochet.
I bought 11 different flavors of Kool-Aid and made two trays of ice cubes. A friend and her daughter came over to join in, and she dyed wool yarn like the tutorial calls for. Her’s turned out great… mine not so much. I don’t blame the tutorial at all, this was entirely my fault.
I think my first mistake was splitting it into three different containers. I thought by doing that I could use different colors and have different results. However, that isn’t what happened. Since the thread is significantly smaller than a skein of yarn, there wasn’t enough surface area for this to work. So instead of getting the neat variegated effect, I just got all the colors bleeding together.
Also, the thread is cotton and not wool, so I think that also created issues. Apparently cotton doesn’t hold dye as well, which you can see by the final photo of all the pale pink thread I am left with.
Thankfully this was an extremely cheap craft to try. I spent $2 on Kool-Aid and bought a handful of $.35 white embroidery flosses and in return I got some pink, slightly fruity thread. Well, at least my friend got some cute yarn out of it.
Leave a Reply