I can’t believe it’s already November and I’ve almost done a year of trying new things. I’ve been getting more and more interested in quilting and I’ve been using TSNEM as an opportunity to try out different quilting techniques. This month was binding.
My first attempt did not go well. I tried machine binding and the first time around didn’t get the binding attached on the back. So I figured this would easily be remedied by a second pass and the next thing I knew I had sewn 6 times around to finally get all the binding secure. Somewhere along the way I knew I should stop and pull out the seam ripper and just start over. But by that point I was already so invested that I couldn’t go back. Thankfully this was just a mug rug I made for myself and not a gift.
So when I started working on the Batman mini quilt for Josh’s birthday, I knew I needed to do a better job on the binding. I used this binding tutorial from Red Pepper Quilts and attached the binding with the machine and then finished it on the back with hand stitching. It took a lot longer than I expected but I think it was worth it.
However, I’m going to practice machine binding some more because I’m working on a larger quilt and I just can’t imagine hand binding the entire thing. Hopefully after a few more mug rugs I’ll get the hang of it!
Check out my past TSNEM posts –
January – Woodburning
February – Sashiko Embroidery
March – Macarons
April – Foundation Paper Piecing
May – Biscornu
June – Log Cabin Pillows
July – Knowing When To Give Up
August – August TSNEM – Sewing with Knit Fabric
September – Quilting with a Walking Foot
October – Stumpwork Embroidery
Read more about TSNEM here.
See what other bloggers tried!